Tuesday, February 06, 2007

So anyway...

I'm heading to work in about two hours, which wouldn't seem that odd if I hadn't got home from work about an hour ago. You see, tonight is the night that Stephen King releases his first comic. Well, I guess you could argue that it isn't directly his comic, but it is a comic of his imagining.

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born is the new series from King's imagination, brought about by one of his aides, and a couple of comic veterans. Is it any good? Beats me, I haven't read it yet. But I'm going to go sell it at midnight tonight. And I will sell it. There were enough calls about it today to convince me that we will have people showing up at our store to buy this book. I'm all for it.

However, we can't sell them the other books that come out on Wednesday. Sure, any time after midnight is technically Wednesday, but there is a clause in our contract that says that we can't sell them before 9:00 am on Wednesday. Which means that there are going to be some people who show up wanting to get all of their books for tomorrow, and we have to tell them no. I hate that. I understand it, but I hate it. I don't like to look at a customer and tell them that they can't buy something, and worse, there are going to be people who think that I'm going to be doing it just to be mean.

So, in about two hours I'm heading to work. And I'm going to be happy to be selling books to happy fans who are showing up to get the first crack at what is bound to be a very popular comic. But I'm far more concerned that what I'm not going to sell is going to be the issue, and I hate that.

Here's hoping that I don't leave anyone disappointed.

No comments: