Thursday, February 15, 2007

I had a nice Valentine's Day.

Actually, I had a very nice Valentine's Day. I took Allyson out for sushi, which she hadn't had for a couple of months due to money constraints around here, and I can now honestly say that I've seen my wife eat a boatload of food. Normally when we go to the sushi place she gets chirashi (at least I think that's how it's spelled) and I get pad thai with chicken. Sure, it's a routine, but we both like those dishes so what's the big deal.

But on Valentine's Day restaurants feel the need to change things up. They want to present a special Valentine's Day menu. Thank goodness. This means that the menu that you go in to have isn't there. Or if Valentine's Day is the first time that you are eating at a place you have no idea what their normal food is like. Great for business.

Now, I do understand that Valentine's is the single busiest day for restaurants across the United States, and that most places have to make adjustments to be able to feed that many people in a quick turnaround so that they can maximize profit, but it just seems like you aren't getting the best that a restaurant has to offer if you judge it based on food served that one day out of the year.

Oh, about Allyson's food boat. We got the special dinner for two. She got the sashimi selection, while I got the hibachi steak and lobster. They served her sashimi in one of those large wooden boats you normally see the large selection of sushi. She loved it. And she ate a boatload of food. But she was happy, and that's a good thing.

I do want to take another moment here to talk about the cards that my wife gives me. Most people get very nice cards that are bought for them, reflecting either (in best cases) how they feel about their partner, or (in worst cases) how they are supposed to feel about their partner.

My wife makes the cards she gives me. One of the benefits of being married to a graphic designer, I suppose. My Valentine's Day card features the very cute lion and tiger from the Weebls "Kenya" video, each holding a heart and dancing, while song lyrics appear over their head telling me how much she loves me.

I love my wife.

No comments: