Sunday, February 18, 2007

Signs can be wonderful things. They let you know exactly what's what with what...or something like that. But when they go wrong they can be very entertaining.

My friend Cliff Biggers recently touched on this in a post, where he talked about one of his favorite phrases, "No Purchase, No Refund", which appeared on a sign at Dr. NO's when he first bought the store. And driving around last night I was reminded that some of the best signs that I've seen weren't supposed to be what I saw.

Last night I passed a sign that read "Disco Tires." Sounds like a great place: get some tires, do the hustle.

One of my foavorites has always been the "Waffle Hose" sign. I'm not sure exactly what you would get at that place. I don't know if it is a hose made of waffles, or a hose that delivers waffles.

I have often passed a place that, for a time, called itself "Iffy Lube". I didn't have enough confidence in the place to stop there and have my car serviced.

Similarly to another place already mentioned, I have passed a place calling itself "Waffle Ho". That seems like a very specific fetish to me.

I know that there are others like this that are escaping my memory, but I'll mention those another time.

So, some signs aren't what the designer intended. But they are still very memorable.

No comments: