Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I am fascinated by certain phenomenon. In this case, it's a social phenomenon.

When I was in Elementary School, back in the early 1970's there was a jingle for McDonald's that started with "McDonald's is your kind of place..." I want to say it was one of the jingles that was written by Barry Manilow, but I haven't checked that thought, mostly because that isn't the important part.

The important part, and to me, the amazing part, is that as a small child I sang not the traditional version, but a version that went:

McDonald's is your kind of place!
Shove hamburgers in your face!
Stuff french fries up your nose!
Put pickles between your toes!
And don't forget our famous shakes,
they're made from polluted lakes!
McDonald's is your kind of place!


Clever words, I know, but that still isn't the important part. The most important thing, and the truly amazing thing, is that my wife, Allyson sang that same song in Elementary School. I grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She grew up in Smyrna, Georgia. And we were singing the same insipid parody of a song at roughly the same time.

Now, this happened long before the internet was a reality. There was no way to communicate this directly. But the other day I stated that someplace was my kind of place, and she went right into the song. We both knew the same song. So I did a very unscientific study and asked a couple of people around my age if they knew that song. They did. One was from Florida and the other from Texas.

How? How did this song get from Indiana to Georgia to Florida to Texas? The concept of synchronicity leaps to mind, but just seeing a realization of it makes me wonder.

And think about the whole "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" song.

No comments: