Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Rose...

I live less than a mile from The Transfiguration Catholic Church--or as I like to call it, The Transmogrification Church. On their marquee at the moment is their latest welcome aboard message for the ever-changing Priest club. (A Priest that I know once told me that they like to change out the staff about every year--I guess to keep God guessing who's going to be talking.)

In any case, the new marquee welcomes in their latest: Father Arcangel.

Oh yeah. That's a Priest name! It did make me wonder if he changed his name when he decided to enter the Seminary, or if it was one of those "born-to-be" situations. Kinda like naming a kid Jeeves, knowing that he only has the option to be a butler at that point.

What's more, with a name like that he's set up to go beyond the pulpit, and get really into the action. Think about it: Father Arcangel, Private Eye. Or maybe he's a movie-style action hero, fighting the good fight in the name of the Catholic Church. Kinda like Indiana Jones, but with a more Pope-influenced mission to his adventures.

Or he could be a super-hero in his spare time! Holy fill-in-the-blank wouldn't even seem vaguely out of place. And with that name, he could be right out of the Silver or Golden Age. Jack Kirby could have fit Father Arcangel into his Fourth World stuff and not even hiccupped.

It is also possible that the obvious has happened. God has sent an angel down to lead his flock at this particular church. Of course, you would think that God would be a little more creative in a name, but hey, who am I to judge. If that's the case, though, I do expect some of my property rates to go up, what with the proximity to angelic proof and what.

I would like to further the efforts of The Transmogrification Church, and extend a hearty hand of welcome to Father Arcangel. No matter what the scenario that brought this magnificently named, true white-collar worker into our midst, just knowing that I have a would-be action superstar/private eye/ heavenly messenger so close to my home will help me sleep a little better tonight.

So to you, Father Arcangel: Mazel Tov.

3 comments:

Bentochan said...

They have a hot tub in their sanctuary. I saw it once. It's evidently for "baptizing" people in it. It made me wonder what would happen if you wore a swimsuit to Sunday Mass and got in it. ^_^

Tredekka said...

I liked this post. This reminds me of the Mel Gibson sketch on SNL, where he played Joe Acid, a gun slinger who slung...acid. "Of course I use acid...it's my name!" By the way, with the "Transmogrification" reference, I have to ask...are you, by chance, a Calvinist?

CoyoteAl said...

Why, of course he is, tredekka! Bill Watterson's adorable comic strip has entertained him for years!

Wait...what?